1. Simulates acoustic signal attenuation and packet collisions in underwater sensor networks.
2. Supports 3D deployment.
3. Can be easily integrated with existing codes of ns-2.
4. Independent of CMU wireless simulation package of ns-2.
5. Changes in either of them do not affect the other packages.
1. You do not need to have ns-2 pre-installed to work with Aqua-Sim.
2. Aqua-Sim tool is distributed as a *tarball* rather than a *patch* .
3. Aqua-Sim tarball = Original ns-2.30 tarball + Aqua-Sim Source Codes.
4. Installing the *tarball* distributed by Aqua-Sim developers is enough.
5. Source code for 3D deployment is not distributed inside the above mentioned tarball.
6. For 3D deployment, separate tarball called *Aqua-3D* is distributed .
7. First, this post explains the installation of Aqua-Sim tarball.
8. Secondly, this post explains the installation of Aqua-3D.
Follow the steps given below to install Aqua-Sim:
1. Download Aqua-Sim-1.0.tgz
2. Unzip Aqua-Sim-1.0.tgz. You will get a folder named Aqua-Sim-1.0
3. Give the following command:
4. If you get error in *otcl* installation, then go to the following folder:
and then open the *configure* file. Go to line number 5516 and replace
then go back to Aqua-Sim-1.0 folder via terminal and try to re-install Aqua-Sim by giving the following command:
5. You may or may not get further errors depending on the gcc version of your Linux flavor.
6. Once the installation is completed, go to following directory:
and give the following command (NOTE: this command requires *root* access):
7. Verify whether Aqua-Sim is installed successfully or not by going to the following folder:
and give the following command
If the above TCL Script works fine, Aqua-Sim has installed successfully!
Otherwise, please feel free to report the errors that you get during the installation procedure.
Following are the steps to install Aqua-3D:
1. Download Aqua3d-1.0.0-src.tgz
2. Depending on your Linux flavor, install the packages listed on the following link, before proceeding for installation:
3. Unzip Aqua3d-1.0.0-src.tgz. You will get a folder named aqua3d-1.0.0-src
4. Go in aqua3d-1.0.0-src folder via terminal and give the following command:
5. If all packages were properly installed during Step 2, you will get a exectuable named *aqua3d* in aqua3d-1.0.0-src folder. Try running it by giving the following command;
or just *double click* on aqua3d.
6. New window, like the one shown below, will open:
7. Aqua-Sim takes *.nam* files as input. A Sample .nam file called *vbva.nam* is provided in the following folder:
8. Using the *File -> Open Trace (no options)* option in the window shown above, open vbva.nam. A new window, as shown below, would open:
9. Alternatively, you can also open the same file with *File -> Open Trace (with options)*
A very detailed and clear information about Aqua-Sim's features, architecture, support of routing protocols and mac protocols, mailing lists, etc is provided on the following link:
References / Acknowledgements:
 "Aqua-Sim 2: An NS-2 Based Simulator for Underwater Sensor Networks", Yibo Zhu, Xiaoyan Lu, Lina Pu, Yishan Su, Robert Martin, Michael Zuba, Zheng Peng and and Jun-Hong Cui, in Proc. of ACM WUWNet, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2013.
 Official webpage of Aqua-Sim: http://obinet.engr.uconn.edu/wiki/index.php/Aqua-Sim
 Official webpage of Aqua-3D: http://obinet.engr.uconn.edu/wiki/index.php/Aqua-3D
Hope it helps.
Mohit P. Tahiliani